Alaska Deer Hunting | What To Expect
Sitka Blacktail Deer Hunting
Hunt Dates for Fall 2017
Oct 7-13, Oct 14- 20, Oct 21- 27, Oct 28- Nov 3, Nov 4- 10, Nov 11- 17, Nov 18- 24, Nov 25- Dec 1, Dec 2- 8
Hunt Dates for Fall 2018
Oct 6-12, Oct 13-19, Oct 20-26, Oct 27- Nov 2, Nov 3-9, Nov 10-16, Nov 17-23, Nov 24- 30, Dec 1-7, Dec 8-15
Hunt Dates for Fall 2019
Oct 5-11, Oct 12-18, Oct 19-25, Oct 26-Nov 1, Nov 2- 8, Nov 9-15, Nov 16-22, Nov 23-29, Nov 30- Dec 6, Dec 7-13
The Logistics | Alaska Deer Hunting
- Hunt Length: 7 days, 6 nights
- Boat- based hunt: We have 2 larger Deltas for your hunt. Our 50 FT Delta- The Sundy sleeps 6 hunters comfortably. Our 43 FT Delta- The Arctic Endeavor sleeps 4 hunters comfortably.
- Private Restrooms: Both of our boats have a private restroom for your comfort.
- Spacious- Covered Deck: Both boats are designed with an expanded deck for extra spacious. Both boats are fully covered with custom designed canvases, making hunts comfortable in all weather conditions.
- Freezer Space: Both boats have multiple freezers on board for your convenience to use during your week hunt with us. This makes storing meat and hides easy and accessible.
- Meals Provided: All meals are provided during your week long hunt. Review our meals and lodging page for more information.
- Unguided Hunting: This is a DIY- hunt allowing you to set the pace for your hunting week. We hunt areas that thrive in population, allowing more success opportunities for our hunters. Please review our Transporter page to learn more about our role in your hunt.
- Long-Range Fishing: In addition to hunting, our boat- based Alaska Deer hunts provide the best opportunity at fishing in remote areas for Alaska Halibut, Alaska Salmon, Grey Cod, and Rockfish.
- Waterfowl: In addition to large game hunting, our boat- based hunts provide the best opportunity at waterfowl hunting in remote areas for Ducks and Sea Ducks (harlequins, oldsquaw, eiders, goldeneyes)- Mid November thru December
- Crabbing: We also provide crab pots on board for crabbing opportunities during season! (early season)
- Fox Hunting: In addition to fishing and hunting, we also provide opportunity at fox hunting. With your hunting license, you’re allowed a total of 2 for per hunter.
- Addition Large Game: We do not charge extra for those who wish to hunt Alaska Mountain Goats (residency required) or Brown Bear (resident and draw tag required).
The Alaska department of fish and game estimates the number of deer on Kodiak island to be about 80,000 animals. Hunters are allowed to take 3 deer of either sex per year. Most hunters choose to slowly still- hunt with a good pair of binoculars in hand. Some hunters choose to hunt from a stationary position over looking drainages, funnels, and open meadows. Deer can be found down at beach level all the way up into the mountain high grounds. Snow tends to push many deer down off the mountains into the lower ground. Bucks come into rut and begin chasing doe’s around early November, with peak rut being mid-late November.
A mature blacktail buck will weigh 150-200 pounds when field dressed and can sport a set of impressive antlers.
Flight Logistics | Alaska Deer Hunting
You are responsible for all travel arrangements from your home, to Larsen bay and return. Your hunting trip begins at Larsen Bay, Alaska on Saturday morning (9AM), and ends on the following week on Friday afternoon (3PM). We recommend that hunters fly from their home cities to Anchorage International Airport, and from there, fly Alaska Airlines to Kodiak City, Alaska. We recommend that you arrive in Kodiak City the evening before your hunt starts (Friday).
- Flight Location: Anchorage, AK —> Kodiak City —> Larsen Bay (pre-arranged flight with Air Lift)
- Hunt Location Starting Point: Larsen Bay, AK
- Flight to Larsen Bay: We pre-arrange this flight to give you guys a discount through our company. You can call them to give them your name (let them know you’re with us) and you will pay at the time of your flight, if not in advance.
- Average cost is $280 round trip PRIOR to baggage cost
- Air Lift: (907) 487- 4444 Kodiak City, AK
- Flight Departure: 9AM Saturday
- Flight Return: 3PM Friday
- Best Western Kodiak Inn: There is a Best Western Hotel located right next to the Kodiak airport where you can reserve a room for Friday night. The Best Western does provide a shuttle service to and from the hotel and airport.*Best Western- Kodiak Location | 236 W REZANOF DR | KODIAK, AK | Phone: (907) 486-5712
Alaska Fishing | Kodiak Alaska Deer Hunting
Fishing opportunities for Halibut on Kodiak Island are numerous. If your hunting group decides they would like to spend an afternoon fishing instead of hunting, we have all the equipment needed to chase fish. Our captains are all Licensed Alaskan Fishing Guides, and we know the waters of Kodiak Island very well. Halibut reaching 30 to 100 pounds are not uncommon on these trips. You may do so well fishing for halibut that you will opt to go fishing tomorrow as well.
Your captain and deck hand will process all of your halibut, and get your fillets into the onboard freezers. The daily limit for halibut is 2 fish per day.
Waterfowl Hunting | Kodiak Alaska Deer Hunting
We also offer the opportunity to go duck hunting while on your Kodiak adventure. Whether you want to sit hidden over a decoy spread, or get some jump shooting action, there are plenty of ducks around to fill the bill. Kodiak Island is centered in the Gulf of Alaska and has sea ducks of every kind migrate through each year. Some of the more common duck species around Kodiak Island are: Mallards, Harlequin, Old Squaw, Golden Eye, Eiders, and Scoters.
I you want to waterfowl hunt you should plan on bringing your hip boots, we will have decoys for hunters that wish to chase ducks.
2017 Alaska Hunting and Fishing Regulations
Game Care | Shipping Home
We receive many questions about game care in the field, and shipping your wild game home. We hope this section will answer our most common questions.
Once a deer has been taken, it needs to be immediately kill-tagged and field dressed. After that, there are 2 ways to get your deer to the beach: you can drag it out (the most common way) or you can skin and quarter it in the field and frame-pack it out. We recommend that hunters wishing to hike long distances inland to hunt, bring a packframe to get their deer out.
Once you are on the beach, you and your deer will be picked up, and you’ll be skiffed back to the boat. Our large covered back deck has plenty of room, and works well to hang and skin deer. Temperatures at this time of year are usually perfect for aging hanging deer.
Freezer space will be provided for hunters wishing to have their deer capes or ducks frozen for taxidermy.
By Thursday evening, all of your wild game needs to be quartered, and packed into shipping boxes, ready for your departing morning flight!! Waxed shipping boxes are available on board and are included with your hunt.
Be sure to check with Air Lift, and your other airline carriers about extra bag charges so there are no surprises getting multiple shipping boxes home.
Kodiak Island is home to the legendary Kodiak Brown Bear. It is common to see them during your hunt. Brown bears exist all over Alaska, and are simply a part of the Alaskan hunting experience. Though we’ve never had a hunter injured by a bear, and attacks are very rare, there are a few guidelines that should be followed when hunting in bear country.
While hunting anywhere in Alaska, you should always use the buddy system. It’s important that 2 hunters stick together during the hunt, for various safety reasons. It is our policy to drop hunters into the field in teams of two.
Be aware and always be conscious of your surroundings. Get your deer out of the field and to the beach as quickly as possible.
Bear sightings are a common occurrence on Kodiak Island. In most cases, the bears will bolt away the instant they identify you as human. Usually, bear encounters consist of a photo opportunity of bears feeding calmly on a hillside.
Additional Charges | Alaska Deer Hunting | Kodiak
Due to fluctuating fuel prices, there may be a fuel surcharge up to 5% added to the cost of your hunt.
Reference List | Alaska Deer Hunting | Kodiak
We will do our best to provide the Kodiak Island deer hunting adventure of a lifetime. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
We look forward to hunting with you this season!